Badger Midget Auto Racing Association
Robinson Races to Victory at Sycamore
Sycamore, IL (September 2, 2023) – Daniel Robinson was victorious coming from his seventh place starting position to earn the Advanced Fastening Supply Badger Midget series victory at the Sycamore Speedway on Saturday night. Saturday’s event was the first in a three race weekend for the Badger Midgets which will crown its 2023 champion on Monday evening in Sun Prairie, WI. The MARA Midgets also took part Saturday and will crown their 2023 champion in Sun Prairie, WI on Sunday evening.
The real question heading into the night was who can stop Adam Taylor? Taylor had won the previous two features at Sycamore Speedway and had looked strong ever since picking up the points lead. That question was answered when Daniel Robinson dominated the later stages of the AFS Badger Midget A-Main.
The points battle for both divisions made the night interesting with the AFS Badger Midgets point leader Taylor looking to go for three in a row at Sycamore. Second place Todd Kluever, whose only feature win came at the track back in June, looked to chase Taylor for the lead. The #57M of Mark McMahill, MARA points leader, looked to have a better night than last time at the track, where he flipped and ended his night early. Second place in MARA points, Daltyn England, looked to close the gap that had dwindled all season long.
Kyle Stark took the FiveOne MotorSports QuickTime Award, with a lap of 15.069. Kluever was second at a 15.162, and Taylor third just one thousandth of a second behind Kluever who turned a lap of 15.163. Mitchell Davis and Robinson rounded out the top five in qualifying.
Preliminary races rolled onto the track with the Madison Extinguishers Non-Qualifier Race first. Abby Hohlbein took the win in her first Badger Midget race of the season. Jace Sparks and Nicholas Klein rouned out the top three. AutoMeter Heat 1 was won by Tyler Roth over Tommy Colburn and Cody Weisensel. Simpson Race Products and VMS Rod Ends Heat 2 was won by Robinson, over Kluever and Parker Jones. Davis picked up Behlings Heat 3 with Stark and Matt Rechek just behind.
The High Performance Lubricants B-Main took the top seven cars to the A-Main with Kevin Douglas and Robby Wirth on the front row. Taylor picked up the win with Hohlbein, Sparks, Klein, Nick Kilian, John Heitzman, and Wirth all picking up transfer spots.
The Advanced Fastening Supply, AgVenture, and Wehmeyer Seed A-Main rolled onto the racing surface with Colburn and Jones on the front row. When the green flag flew Recheck surged to the lead from his third place starting position. The yellow flew early for Harrison Kleven who found himself spun around in turn one. Soon after the restart McMahill spun in turn one, collecting fast qualifier Stark in the process. The green flew again and Rechek began to open a sizeable lead before McMahill spun a second time, ending his night. When the green flew again, Rechek, gapped the field as seventh place Robinson made his way forward. On lap ten, Robinson used lapped traffic to slip by Rechek for the lead. The yellow would fly for the final time as Colburn collected Roth. When the green flew again Robinson checked out from the field. Robinson picked up his first feature win of the season. Kluever came home second with England in third. Rechek finished fourth in his return and Davis rounded out the top five.
Heading into the two final events of the season on Sunday and Monday at Angell Park Speedway, Taylor holds a small 14 point advantage over Kluever in the AFS Badger Midget series standings. England has taken the point lead over McMahill in the MARA standings and sits just 43 points ahead.
For more information visit the MARA series online at www.mararacing.com or follow the series on Facebook. To learn more about the Advanced Fastening Supply Badger Midget Auto Racing Association visit BMARA.com or the BMARA Racing Facebook Page today.
A - Feature 25 Laps | 00:21:57.347 | Advanced Fastening Supply
- 57-Daniel Robinson; 2. 55-Todd Kluever; 3. 19E-Daltyn England; 4. 38-Matt Rechek; 5. 6B-Mitchell Davis; 6. 41-Parker Jones; 7. 5X-Adam Taylor; 8. 20-Cody Weisensel; 9. 15C-RJ Corson; 10. 10C-Jace Sparks; 11. 27-Charles Kunz; 12. 40JR-Dave Collins Jr; 13. 17-Nicholas Klein; 14. 17N-Nick Kilian; 15. 00-John Heitzman; 16. 29-Harrison Kleven; 17. 11K-Abby Hohlbein; 18. 10A-Tommy Colburn; 19. 18-Tyler Roth; 20. 57M-Mark McMahill; 21. 2-Kyle Stark; 22. 1W-Robby Wirth
B - Feature 12 Laps | 00:12:40.446 | High Performance Lubricants
- 5X-Adam Taylor; 2. 11K-Abby Hohlbein; 3. 10C-Jace Sparks; 4. 17-Nicholas Klein; 5. 17N-Nick Kilian; 6. 00-John Heitzman; 7. 1W-Robby Wirth; 8. 29-Harrison Kleven; 9. 34-Blake Beckwith; 10. 5K-Kevin Douglas; 11. 53M-Miles Doherty
Heat 3 8 Laps | 00:02:10.000 | Behlings
- 6B-Mitchell Davis; 2. 2-Kyle Stark; 3. 38-Matt Rechek; 4. 15C-RJ Corson; 5. 57M-Mark McMahill; 6. 5K-Kevin Douglas; 7. 29-Harrison Kleven
Heat 2 8 Laps | 00:02:11.000 | Simpson Race Products & VMS Rod Ends
- 57-Daniel Robinson; 2. 55-Todd Kluever; 3. 41-Parker Jones; 4. 40JR-Dave Collins Jr; 5. 27-Charles Kunz; 6. 1W-Robby Wirth; 7. 53M-Miles Doherty
Heat 1 8 Laps | 00:03:05.000 | Auto Meter
- 18-Tyler Roth; 2. 10A-Tommy Colburn; 3. 20-Cody Weisensel; 4. 19E-Daltyn England; 5. 9S-Mike Stroik; 6. 5X-Adam Taylor; 7. 17N-Nick Kilian
Schoenfeld Qualifying 25 Laps | 00:20:06.000 | Five-One Motorsports Fast Time
- 2-Kyle Stark, 00:15.069; 2. 55-Todd Kluever, 00:15.162; 3. 5X-Adam Taylor, 00:15.163; 4. 6B-Mitchell Davis, 00:15.203; 5. 57-Daniel Robinson, 00:15.301; 6. 20-Cody Weisensel, 00:15.396; 7. 57M-Mark McMahill, 00:15.459; 8. 53M-Miles Doherty, 00:15.517; 9. 19E-Daltyn England, 00:15.618; 10. 38-Matt Rechek, 00:15.633; 11. 41-Parker Jones, 00:15.839; 12. 10A-Tommy Colburn, 00:15.853; 13. 15C-RJ Corson, 00:15.934; 14. 27-Charles Kunz, 00:15.980; 15. 9S-Mike Stroik, 00:16.013; 16. 5K-Kevin Douglas, 00:16.100; 17. 40JR-Dave Collins Jr, 00:16.125; 18. 18-Tyler Roth, 00:16.205; 19. 29-Harrison Kleven, 00:16.236; 20. 1W-Robby Wirth, 00:16.464; 21. 17N-Nick Kilian, 00:16.477; 22. 17-Nicholas Klein, 00:16.661; 23. 11K-Abby Hohlbein, 00:16.749; 24. 00-John Heitzman, 00:17.303; 25. (DNS) 34-Blake Beckwith, 00:17.303; 26. (DQ) 10C-Jace Sparks, 00:15.510
Non Qualifier 8 Laps | 00:02:18.000 | Madison Extinguisher Service
- 11K-Abby Hohlbein; 2. 10C-Jace Sparks; 3. 17-Nicholas Klein; 4. 00-John Heitzman; 5. 34-Blake Beckwith
Submitted By: Zack Krueger